BARNEGAT LIGHT MUSEUM
The artifacts on display range from an English cast iron kettle used to evaporate salt water on the marshes near Barnegat before the American Revolution to a life preserver from an oil tanker sunk off this coast by German submarines in 1942.
Many photographs, menus, and time tables recall the days when Barnegat Light had three hotels, a railroad, and sailboard regattas. Even the lens from the Barnegat Lighthouse has finally found a home at the museum. The lens, built in 1847 in France, was removed when the lighthouse was decommissioned in 1927. It was given to the Museum in 1957 and is now a cherished highlight for future generations.
"Uncle Cale" Caleb Parker was celebrated for his heroism. In 1870, when nine-year-old Clarence Hazelton Cranmer fell out of a boat in sight of Parker and was swept out into the inlet, Parker dove in after him and saved the boy from drowning. As an adult, Clarence became the Lighthouse Keeper from 1883-1926, serving as the last keeper before the Fresnel lens was removed in 1927.